Hello Writers and welcome to our writing salon This page is a resource for various writing groups and events in town.
Photo of the incomparable Nora Reyes
* Get Published Party at Writespace (2000A Edwards St. Ste. 208) A free monthly event for members as well as non-members to socialize and work on preparing submissions, researching markets to submit to, etc.
* Grown-Up Storytime hosts a monthly event usually at Rudyard’s (2010 Waugh Dr) at 8pm on a Tuesday. $5. “You send us stories, we pick the best ones, and assign them to a rotating crack-squad of expert story readers who show up the night of and wow our socks and/or pants off.”
* Houston Storytellers Guild hosts a Monthly Story Swap on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 7 – 8:30pm (1500 Sunset Blvd). Tell a story of your own (10 minute time limit), or just sit back and listen. If you wish, you may have your story critiqued.
* Houston Writers Guild (HWG) holds critique circles, workshops, webinars, contests, and conferences as we well as publishes a newsletter and hosts a resource website. To learn more, visit http://houstonwritersguild.com
* Inprint Writing Cafe is open on Friday mornings from 9am-12pm for all writers who might like to write in the company of other writers. Coffee, tea, and sodas are available, all of which can be enjoyed for a 50 cent donation. 1520 West Main St.
* Manifesto Ent. is a Houston collective of like-minded writers, poets, and artists, manifesting through music, poetry, performance art, etc. Founded by Kris Smith. they do various performances and open mics around town.
* Monthly Writers’ Socials – Writespace has joined forces with Houston Writers House, and will be continuing their monthly writers’ socials. Held every fourth Tuesday from 6:30-8:30pm. Free and open to members as well as non-members.
* Public Poetry hosts various Open Mics and Readings around town.
* Write About Now poetry takes place every Wednesday at Avant Garden (411 Westheimer) 7:30pm. Usually $5 cover, $6 if paying by card (although sometimes prices vary according to event). Those who get on the sign up sheet get one poem under 3 minutes.
* Writespace Monthly Workshop Open Mics (2000A Edwards St. Ste. 208) Read your work in front of a supportive and encouraging audience. Everyone is welcome, all levels. Free Event but secure your tickets here. If you are interested in reading, fill out the form linked here. The next event will be June 8th.
“If there’s a book you really want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” – Toni Morrison
“Long patience and application saturated with your heart’s blood—you will either write or you will not—and the only way to find out whether you will or not is to try.”
“I don’t need an alarm clock. My ideas wake me.”
#houston #writers #writing #poetry #openmic #storytelling #storytellers #inprint #inprinthouston
If you like and appreciate Alternative Houston and would like to see it continue and grow, please consider donating. Thank you so much and hope you’re having a great week!