Creatives on Stage! Want your chance at the mic? Open Mics and Jams for music, spoken word, poetry, and comedy. Karaoke too. Your chance to get on stage and share your creativity!
*Note: Not all listed are weekly. Some are biweekly or monthly so read the details. I try to keep this list updated and current, but all things in life are subject to change so feel free to check with the venue before heading over to make sure it’s taking place.
(Inner Loop and Near. May add an extended version later for surrounding areas)
* Jazz Jam in the First Ward at Cafeza, 1720 Houston Ave. 8-11pm. Weekly jam with Latin jazz percussionist Charlie Perez and friends. Wide repertoire of Latin, Caribbean, and Brazilian pieces, as well as jazz standards. Players and singers are welcome to sit in with the band. No cover.
* Monday Night Jam at Emmit’s Place, 4852 Benning Dr. 8-12. No cover and musicians are welcome to sit in with the band.
* Monday Night Jazz Jam at Catbirds, 1336 Westheimer, 9-12. No cover, drink specials all night.
* Monday Night Karaoke at Darwin’s Pub, 33 Waugh Dr. 8-2 with Bob Lane and friends. $1 pool, Frozen Mimosa’s, and other specials!
* Open Mic Comedy Night at Rudyard’s British Pub, 2010 Waugh Dr. Free! Doors at 7:30pm.
* Acoustic Open Mic Tuesday! @ Avant Garden, 411 Westheimer Rd. Sign up at 7pm, Singer Songwriter Open Mic 7:30-2. Must bring musical instrument (no back tracks allowed). 3 song max. No cover. $2 beer special. $3 wells. $2 tacos.
* Industry Night Karaoke (9pm) at Rudyard’s British Pub, 2010 Waugh Dr. Free every Tuesday 9-2.
* Heights Vinyl OPEN MIC, 3301 Cline St, every Tuesday 9pm. “This is a managed music free-for-all. Musicians jump in and out. Mics passed around to singers. POSITIVE/COLLABORATORY VIBES ONLY. 1st Timers welcome, old timers try out new material. Any and ALL types of Instruments welcome.” BYOB.
* Open Mic Comedy at Boondocks, 1417 Westheimer. Sign up starts around 8pm. Show starts at 9/10.
* Open Mic Night at House of Blues Houston, 1204 Caroline St. 6-9pm on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Mics and house sound provided. Acoustic guitars recommended. Small drums (djembe, congas, etc.) allowed. Full drum kits not provided/allowed.
* Karaoke at Dean’s Downtown, 316 Main St. 9-2.
* Karaoke Night at The Secret Group, 2101 Polk St.10pm.
* Poetry Open Mic with Write About Now at Avant Garden, 411 Westheimer, 7:30-10:30pm. Open Mics are open to all. You get one poem under 3 minutes! Sign up list goes up at 7:30pm. $5 CASH. $6 CARD.
* The Big Easy Social and Pleasure Club hosts a Big & Easy Blues Jam every Wednesday at 9:30pm. All welcome! No cover.
* Wednesday Midnight Drum Circle at Last Concert Cafe, 1403 Nance St. Feel free to bring a drum, shaker, cowbell or hula hoop and join in the fun. If you want to go earlier, POTROAST usually plays 10:30 – 11:59 and Hellina Bucket opens the show 8 – 10:30.
* Open Mic Comedy at Darwin’s Pub, 33 Waugh Dr, 8-2.
* Cafeza Presents – Writer’s Block, 1720 Houston Ave. 8-11pm. A semi-weekly gathering of poets, MCs, and wordsmiths in Houston’s historic First Ward Arts District. Free and open to the public, but seating is limited so go early for the best seats.