Musicians, Singers (and music lovers), here are some regular weekly events:
* Jazz Jam in the First Ward at Cafeza, 1720 Houston Ave. 8-11pm. Weekly jam with Latin jazz percussionist Charlie Perez and friends. Wide repertoire of Latin, Caribbean, and Brazilian pieces, as well as jazz standards. Players and singers are welcome to sit in with the band. No cover.
* Monday Night Jam at Emmit’s Place, 4852 Benning Dr. 8-12. No cover and musicians are welcome to sit in with the band.
* Monday Nite Jazz Jam at CAFE 4212, 4212 Almeda. 8-12. With Stephen Richard on Saxophones Alto/Tenor/Soprano, Tyler Henderson on Piano, Teofilo Bijarro on Upright String Bass, and Sam Knight on Drums. Usually a $7 cover.
* Monday Night Jazz Jam at Catbirds, 1336 Westheimer, 9-12. No cover, drink specials all night.
* Monday Night Karaoke at Darwin’s Pub, 33 Waugh Dr. 8-2 with Bob Lane and friends. $1 pool, $1 Frozen Mimosa’s, and other specials!
* Acoustic Open Mic Tuesday! @ Avant Garden, 411 Westheimer Rd. Sign up at 7pm, Singer Songwriter Open Mic 7:30-2. Must bring musical instrument (no back tracks allowed). 3 song max. No cover. Cash specials at the bar. Taco truck outside.
* Heights Vinyl OPEN MIC, 3301 Cline St, every Tuesday 9pm. “This is a managed music free-for-all. Musicians jump in and out. Mics passed around to singers. POSITIVE/COLLABORATORY VIBES ONLY. 1st Timers welcome, old timers try out new material. Any and ALL types of Instruments welcome.” BYOB.
* Industry Night Karaoke (9pm) at Rudyard’s British Pub, 2010 Waugh Dr. Free every Tuesday 9-2.
* Moody Tuesdays Open Mic upstairs at Axelrad, 1517 Alabama St. 7:30pm-9:30pm (also Axelrad Night Market is downstairs every Tuesday, 5-9pm). The Open Mic is entirely acoustic and early sign up is available online via their website (www.axelradbeergarden.com/music). Music, comedy, and poetry are all allowed. Hosted by Haley & Tom, singers for Dollie Barnes + VODI.
* Open Mic Night at House of Blues Houston, 1204 Caroline St. 6-9pm on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Mics and house sound provided. Acoustic guitars recommended. Small drums (djembe, congas, etc.) allowed. Full drum kits not provided/allowed.
* Plug N’ Play At Winbern, 3701 Travis, 8pm-2am. Plug N’ Play has expanded to Tuesdays! Same quality open mic at another location. Enjoy some great music from local musicians. Sign up starts at 8pm, music at 9pm.
* Karaoke at Dean’s Downtown, 316 Main St. 9-2.
* Karaoke Night at The Secret Group, 2101 Polk St.10pm.
* The Big Easy Social and Pleasure Club hosts a Big & Easy Blues Jam every Wednesday at 9:30pm. All welcome! No cover.
* Wednesday Midnight Drum Circle at Last Concert Cafe, 1403 Nance St. Feel free to bring a drum, shaker, cowbell or hula hoop and join in the fun. If you want to go earlier, POTROAST usually plays 10:30 – 11:59 and Hellina Bucket opens the show 8 – 10:30.
* Sunday Drum Jam at Levy Park, 3801 Eastside, 3pm on the second Sunday of the month.
* Hot Jazz Sundays at Rudyards British Pub, 2010 Waugh Dr. 6-8pm. Gypsy swing and Traditional jazz out on the patio. Musicians, bring your instruments as this is an open jam. Dancers, swing dance lesson from 6-7, so bring your dancing shoes! Patrons, this is a free event so tip your bartenders.