Hi and welcome to Alternative Houston. If you’re looking for something fun or interesting to do or just want to know some of the cool things happening in this city, here are some great options!
Saturday, May 25th
* Closing / Dance / Auction at Archway Gallery 7-9pm. Three-events-in-one gathering: 1) a closing reception for the Cookie and Tom Wells exhibition, Double Vision, 2) the end of the silent auction for the Empty Bowls exhibit, and 3) a dance performance by Fly Dance Company.
* Drone Day Houston at Insomnia Gallery 6pm doors. Free Show. BYOB. Ramiro Materia (of Morning Scales the Mountain and ruido/mm), wøunds, m e t a m o r p h o s e n, Razmandi.
* Explorations: Paintings by Michael Withouse at The Hardy & Nance Studios 5-9pm. A collection of paintings depicting human emotion and our relation to others and the earth.
* Folk HeART Mural Unveiling at House of Blues Houston 11am – 1pm. “The mural is located within GreenStreet between Dallas, Polk, Main, and Fannin Street (near Hotel Alessandra and Forever 21). Stop by and take pictures, grab some free tickets to upcoming shows and vibe to live music from another one of House of Blues’ very own, Raf Rivera!”
* Kickin’ Kombucha Taproom & Tea Shop Grand Opening. Drinks graciously provided by 8th Wonder Brewery, Cruiser Coffee, and Highway Vodka. Mr. Donut will be open in the morning with donuts and kolaches. Food Music Life Food Truck will begin serving lunch at 11. Enter to win free kombucha for a year! Yoga at 9:30 and 10:30am. Vendor Market from 10am – 3pm.
* Party Like a Seastar for Big Star’s 10th Anniversary “Mermaids, mermen, sea captains, sea sirens, scalawags, Gorton’s fishermen, and general bar lubbers are welcome.
There will be beer, bands, liquors, boozes, DJs, longnecks, drinks, perhaps some surprises, and likely some crap and memories to take with you.”
* Plug N’ Play Roundtable at Visionary Heights 7pm doors. $10 cover and B.Y.O.B. Mixers, coolers and ice will be available for purchase at the venue. Acoustic showcase for local singer songwriters. This one will feature: Alejandro Carcagamo aka Kozmo, Nicole Quinn, and Billy Williams all sharing a stage and playing all originals for you.
* Rock&Roll Circus! at Satellite Bar. 4:45-5:15 Camarilla, 5:30-6 Ghost Ship Ritual, 6:20-6:50 Mockingbird Brother, 7:05-7:35 Street Waves, 7:50-8:20 Gorgeous Jetson, 8:35-9:10 El Jumbotron, 9:25-10 Smokey Mirror, 10:15-10:50 King Country, 11:05-11:45 “Ganesha”, 12-12:45 Acid Carousel.
$13 at the door. Oh and they’re also going to have face painting and caricatures.Live FIRE SPINNERS will be present!
* The Groove-pocalypse at Notsuoh with The Heights Funk Collective.10pm – 1am. Free entry!
* Twin Shadow (Dj set) Neon Garden at Axelrad. “Experience a visual, auditory, and nostalgic evening. Retro and modern video game stations, visual art installations and live music all in one night.”
Twin Shadow 10pm-11:20pm. Supporting acts: Lazybit Collective 7:45pm, Squincy Jones 8:45pm, Parker Luis Can’t Lose 9:30pm, SIXIXIX 11:20pm, D-Fi Logic 12am.
* When The Clock Strikes w/ Cliffdiver, East of Eado Hoodie Party+ at Bohemeo’s. 6pm. All ages. $8.