June 19th (Wednesday)
* A Gulf Coast Juneteenth at Miller Outdoor Theatre (6000 Hermann Park Dr) 7:30-11pm. “Miller’s beloved blues and creole music festival features The Soul Rebels, a group blending funk and soul with elements of hip hop, jazz and rock all within a brass band context. Opening for The Soul Rebels will be Houston’s own Annika Chambers.”
* Poet Patricia Roberts – Direct From Peru at Brazos Bookstore (2421 Bissonnet St) 6:30-8pm.
* Royal Thunder, Dead Now, Doomstress at Rudyard’s (2010 Waugh Dr) 8pm.
* The Blue Sessions, Jazz Night at Brasil Houston (2604 Dunlavy) 9-11pm. Free live music!
June 20th (Thursday)
* Brash Presents Spirit Adrift At RUDYARDS for FREE (2010 Waugh Dr) Doors at 8pm. High Command opens at 9.
* Cultured Cocktails benefitting ms. YET & Renegade Carnies at Bar Boheme (307 Fairview St) 5-8pm.
* Book Reading- Why I Am Like Tequila by Lupe Mendez at Casa Ramirez FOLKART Gallery (241 W 19th St) 6:30-8pm. “Books for sale at 17.99 and Lupe will be available after the reading to autograph. Refreshments served. Free event.”
* Heapin’ Helpin’ at Cottonwood 7-10pm. Free live music.
* If You Have to Ask (Free) at Last Concert Cafe (1403 Nance St) 8pm.
* Jazmin’s Summer 2019 Art Show at Rukaz Kultura (5503 Lawndale) 6-10pm. FREE with RSVP (EventBrite). $10 Suggested Donation. Art Show, Silent Auction, Artisan Market, Artist Panel Discussion, Music provided by Bombón – Texas, Killem Collective DJs + DJGoodGrief, and Complimentary beverages provided by Deep Eddy Vodka, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Red Bull + Topo Chico Agua Mineral.
* Lizi Bailey Live! at Anderson Fair (2007 Grant St) $10. Music starts around 8pm.
Friday, June 21st
* Big Business, Alone on The Moon @ Satellite (6922 Harrisburg Blvd) 8pm.
* Blond-ish with Visions of 54 and Radio Duran at The Continental Club (3700 Main) 9pm.
* Conversation on Culture Opening Reception at Sabine Street Studios (1907 Sabine St) 5:30-7:30pm. An exhibition featuring works by tenants of Sawyer Yards.
* ExxonMobil Summer Symphony Nights at Miller Outdoor Theatre 8:30-11pm (also June 22nd and 28th). Free performances.
* Friday Night Jazz with Cory Wilson at Notsuoh (314 Main) 9pm.
* HeartByrne Plays Talking Heads at Last Concert Cafe (1403 Nance St) 8pm Doors. 9pm Show. Tickets: $15 advance, $20 day of show.
* Heatwave Festival PreShow ft Insvrgence Be//gotten + more at Bohemeo’s (708 Telephone Rd Ste E) 6pm.
* International Day of Yoga 2019 (Houston) at Midtown Park (2811 Travis St) 6-8pm. Free and open to the public.
* John Allen Stephens, Camera Cult, Attxla at White Oak Music Hall (2915 N Main St) 8pm doors.
* Kal.Kal & Musashiii’s B-day Bash! at Khon’s beer.wine.art (2808 Milam St) 8pm along with Pajama Sam, Maslo, DunGAUD, and Notsogud. Admission is free, but donations are appreciated!
* La Sopa – Beat Battles at Boombox Taco (3715 Market St) 9pm. $200 CASH PRIZE BEAT BATTLES. $50 BEATBOXING BATTLES.
* Opening Reception at Lawndale Art Center (4912 Main St) 6-8pm.
* Pride Art Show: Showcasing Lgbtq+ Artists at Insomnia Gallery (708 Telephone Rd) 7-11pm with a $5 cover and a portion going to a nonprofit + free drinks.
* Swimwear Department / Los Dientes at Darwin’s Pub (33 Waugh Dr) 8pm. Free live music!
* UrbanAnimals 40YrReunion:Natives/Footnotes/BadSamaritans/Mydolls at Rudyard’s (2010 Waugh Dr) 8pm.
* Vodi + Wax Dream live at Axelrad (1517 Alabama) 8pm. Free entry!
* Wendy Elizabeth Jones at The Boot (1206 W 20th St) 7-10pm.
Saturday, June 22nd
* Ak’chamel // MSTM // Scott Ayers at Shoeshine Charley’s Big Top Lounge (3714 Main St) 8pm doors.* Another Run • Otis The Destroyer • The Wheel Workers at Rockefellers Houston (3620 Washington Ave) Doors at 8! Show at 9. $10 online presale, or $15 at the door.
* Amy Beth Wright: ssssssummahh at Main Street Projects (3550 Main Street) 7-9pm. “Wright pushes the limits of her painting process to examine hybrid applications, combining painting with such fabric treatments as hand dying and knitting, typically associated with women and crafters, as a way to highlight handmade, textile-based artforms and their creators which have been historically overlooked.”
* Art on Pride benefitting OutReach United at John Palmer Art Gallery & Studio (1218 Heights Blvd) 2-4pm.
* Cafeza Presents – Hot City Brass Band (1720 Houston Ave) 9pm.
* Closing Reception + Artist Talk with Mary Howe Hawkins at Rudolph Blume Fine Art Artscan Gallery (1836 Richmond Ave) 3-5pm. Light refreshments will be served.
* Community Celebration at Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (5216 Montrose Blvd) 11am-2pm. “Explore hands-on activities including—stenciling and bedazzling a colorful bandanna; decorating a frame, plaque, or brooch using found objects; and designing a button with collage materials. All activities are inspired by artists in CAMH’s current exhibition, Stonewall 50.”
* Fea, Pleasure Venom, ImposterBoys, and Britt at Dan Electro’s (1031 E 24th St) 8pm.
* Houston LGBT+ Pride Celebration 2019 at City Hall (not Montrose…)
* Lost in Lima LP Release at The Continental Club (3700 Main) 8pm with Young Mammals, Astragal, Ruiners, and Djs Manny Parra and LUZ. $8 / 21+ – – $10 / under 21. Brought to you by Wallflower Records.
* Minglewood (Grateful Dead Tribute) at Last Concert Cafe (1403 Nance St) 9:30pm.
* Rainwater Capture for Irrigation by Nell Wheeler at Wabash Feed (4537 N. Shepherd) 11am-12:30pm. The event is free but space is limited, so sign up in advance.
* Rave 4.0: back to the 90’s at Gravity (2401 MAIN ST SUITE 200) 9pm. “No flip flops. Rave attire encouraged.” 18+
* Solo Exhibition: Tom Ruthz at Bisong Art Gallery (1305 Sterrett St) 5-8pm.
* Take Better Photos With Your iPhone Free Workshop – Experimac West Houston (9930 Katy Freeway #Suite 150A) 9:30-11am. Tickets are free, but register as space is limited.
* Tchaikovsky’s Romeo & Juliet: ExxonMobil Summer Symphony Nights at Miller Outdoor Theatre (6000 Hermann Park Dr) 8:30pm.
* The Last Human: Live On Earth at Insomnia Gallery (708 Telephone Rd) 8pm. Also featuring musical guests: Alternative Girl, Kal.kal & Alcoda.
* The Selfless Lovers Live At Axelrad (1517 Alabama) 7-10pm. “The Selfless Lovers feature a vintage rock n’ roll sound, innovated with disco, funk and pop influences. With an ear for classic 70’s grooves and a knack for catchy songwriting, the band has created a unique sound that manages to be both throwback and energized.”
* The Suspects*The Inverters*Ryan Scroggins*Los Wasted Tones at Rudyard’s (2010 Waugh Dr) Doors 8pm, Bands 9pm, $8 cover.
* 2nd Annual Untitled “Summer Stansas” at Mekong Underground (2808 Milam, next to Khon’s) 8pm. Poetry event. $5 in Advance. $10 at the Door.
Sunday, June 23rd
* GCBA Jazz Jam at Emmit’s Place (4852 Benning Dr) with the The Gulf Coast Blues and Jazz Association from 7-11pm.
* Hemp & Art Fest! at The smoking pot coffee shop (8510 Longpoint) 2-7pm. “Live music, food, local artist, vendors and learn about all the amazing benefits of CBD and what it can do for you!”
* Printmaking Demo at Archway Gallery (2305 Dunlavy St) 3-4:30pm. “Kevin Cromwell, one of six artists in the current exhibition, Ink&Image 2019: RED…or not, will demonstrate woodcut printing. It is one of the printing techniques featured in the exhibition. Always entertaining, Kevin will keep us busy! Free and open to all.”
* Rickie Lee Jones at The Heights Theater (339 W 19th St) 7pm.
* “This Paradise” Opening Reception at Jonathan Hopson (904 Marshall St) 1-5pm.
* Tiki-Deaky at The West End (5320 Westheimer) 4-8pm. A portion of the proceeds will go to benefit Kids Meals Houston! Live music with Akaw! – ATX, King Pelican – SATX, and Dj Mikey Drag.
For edits, suggestions, corrections, etc. email: email@example.com
Tell them you heard about it from Alternative Houston!
Always fresh, always local, always good.
Selectively curated just for you
New content added daily.
** If you like and appreciate Alternative Houston, please consider donating so that we may continue and grow. No amount too large or too small. Even $1 helps!