Open House at Cherryhurst House in Montrose, Print Houston, a Comedic Artist Talk at Art League Houston, a Mural Celebration along with ice sculpting by Reverend Butter, Photographic Obscura, a Gonzo247 3-dimensional art installation on a 1969 Hawker Jet. The Pancake and Booze Art Show, and more! Check out these great options This Week in the Arts.
(Image for event this weekend at Archway Gallery)
Friday, May 31st
* Artist Talk: A Comedy Show at Art League Houston (1953 Montrose Blvd) 7-8:30pm. ‘In conjunction with Emily Peacock’s solo exhibition, smother, at Jonathan Hopson Gallery, Houston, Texas, Peacock will give an “Artist Talk” in comedy form at Art League Houston.’ She will be joined by artists and comedians: Bob Morrissey, Aaron Michael, Vinod Hopson, Stephanie Saint Sanchez, Beth Anne, and Philip Pyle II.
* Artist Talk/Demonstration: “Where I Come From” w/ Charles Criner at The Printing Museum (1324 W Clay St) 6:30pm. Free and open to the public.
* A Weekend of Transformation through Art & Music at Deborah Colton Gallery (2445 North Blvd) 7-9pm on Friday (also open 2-5pm on Saturday). “Lowell Boyer’s current exhibition, Inscapes, are portraits of inner landscapes and imaginary worlds that we actually live in. Julia Robinson (Julia & the Standards) will perform, along with her accomplished Saxophone player, Cory Wilson and extraordinary pianist, Jeremy Nuncio. Beverages and valet are complimentary.”
* Mr.D1987’s 5th Anniversary Mural Celebration (2819 Fannin) from 6-10pm. Special art presentations, ice sculpting by Reverend Butter, and other art activities. Local market as well. Free event!
* Summer Exhibitions Opening Reception with Artist Tacita Dean at Moody Center for the Arts at Rice University 5-7pm. Complimentary wine and cheese; complimentary beer provided by Buffalo Bayou Brewing.
Saturday, June 1st
The Printing Museum (1324 W Clay St):
** Charles Criner Lecture 11am-12.
** Artist Talk/Demonstration: “Where I Come From” w/ Charles Criner 2pm.
* Ink&Image 2019 at Archway Gallery (2305 Dunlavy St) 5-8pm.Complimentary valet parking and light refreshments. Free and open to all “featuring original prints by Archway artists Kevin Cromwell, Mary Lee Gray, donna e perkins, Shirl Riccetti, John Slaby, and Liz Conces Spencer. This exhibition is part of the city-wide PrintHouston 2019 celebration of printmaking that includes exhibits, demonstrations, lectures, and studio tours.”
* PrintHouston: Next2019 National Juried Print Exhibition at Sabine Street Studios (1907 Sabine St) 6-8pm. Hosted by PrintMatters: “We are honored to have this year’s guest juror, Lyle W. Williams, curator of prints and drawings at The McNay Art Museum, curate the exhibition to showcase innovative and challenging works that transcend process and materials and present printmaking as a versatile and adaptable artistic medium.”
* Adam and Adam Opening Reception with Adam Elkhadem and Adam Ray at G Spot Gallery (310 E 9th St) 6-8pm.
* Artists-In-Dialogue: Tacita Dean and Kimberly Bartosik at Moody Center for the Arts at Rice University 2-3pm. This event is free and open to the public.
* A Rosy Afternoon with William Cannings and Catherine Anspon at Anya Tish Gallery (4411 Montrose Blvd) 3-5pm.
* Drop-In Experience | Mindful Observation at Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (5216 Montrose Blvd) 1-4pm. “Experiment with movement and breath-work as tools to delve deeper into observation.” All ages are welcome. Free admission.
* FLATS Presents: Obscura (2411 Wroxton) 6-10pm. “The traditional tools of photography were designed foremost for function and purpose. Yet as time has marched on, these tools have developed their own aesthetic allure. Obscura focuses on works that have incorporated these tools as a way to connect the past to the present.”
* Summer Kickoff: Free Admission featuring Gonzo247:at The 1940 Air Terminal Museum (8325 Travelair St) 10am-5pm. Free entry all day. Local artist GONZO247 will be working on completing a 3-dimensional art installation on a 1969 Hawker Jet. Activities, light refreshments, and more.
* The Houston Pancakes & Booze Art Show at Warehouse Live (813 Saint Emanuel St) 8pm.